Monday 11 March 2013

Growing realisations



Until this weekend I think that I believed that my childhood lasted for about thirty years; from birth until the age of 16.  erm yes, I know the maths doesn't really add up.  And actually Mum doesn't really believe that I have grown up at all (although I refute this, I have to admit that the evidence is on her side - I got Playmobil for Christmas and J came home with robots for me the other day.... but I digress)  My reasoning goes thus;  I remember doing many different activities, each one for a very long time, I had lots of toys each of which I played with for decades.  I went to three primary schools and was convinced that I went to each for about three years.  So you see, when you look at it like that my maths was not so skewed.  But this weekend I popped into my parents attic to find some more age-appropriate toys for my own two children,   and then it happened, I started opening boxes, finding memories and re-calculating my age.  It went something like this; "Wow here's my brownie uniform, oh I was living in Berlin then so I must have been 8ish and I went for YEARS, we did LOADS of stuff and then when I went to guides I was SOOOO grown up and mature, I must have been, what 16? Or there abouts - ah yes here's my guide handbook, let me see I was ....10!!!!!  I was 10!! Noooooooooo  10 is still little!! But I was so BIG when I went up to guides, quick close the box" 
The 'uniforms' suitcase
Next box "oohhh pony riding stuff, yippee, the rosettes I won, the speical badge to wear as a "helper" for the show - oh yeah, that was when we were allowed to tend a stall over the lunch break, and here's my sweatshirt for riding, dear me Mum must have shrunk it in the wash it's tiny, but I was nearly fully grown by then, what with riding and taking part in shows and being trusted to sell things to people, Heeeey here's the programme let's have a look at the date......... AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I was 11"  And so on.  And then the toys.......  I now realise that I must only have played with some of them for a few years, maybe sometimes only a couple of years.. but they seemed to last for decades.  Anyway, painful as it was I now realise two things, a lifetime is exactly that when you are a child, the whole of your life, and it needs to be filled with fun and activities and memories in the making.  And secondly; don't open boxes.

1 comment:

  1. Or don't keep the objects, just hold on to the memories...

    ReplyDelete